Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Mais la qualitee, c'est encroyable!

I made a brief aside a few posts back about the star of the latest Batman film, Cillian Murphy's glasses. It seems I'm not the only one who's been trying to track these down. Several people have found this blog by googling any combination of "scarecrow," "batman" and "kickass glasses." (Not to mention an inordinate amount of people googling, and apparently ogling, "Gloria Macarenko.")

Like my last bit of haute couture investigation, I'm happy to report that I've found the item in question. (For anyone looking, the frames are an Alain Mikli design, model number A0304. You're welcome.) The discovery was a culmination of savvy sleuthing, but not without a touch of serendipity.

My first inclination was to phone up my buddy Cillian and just ask what glasses he wore. This, of course, was hampered by the simple fact that Mr. Murphy and I are not buddies. Anyway, after much scouring of the internets, I luckily caught sight of a friend of a friend who happened to be wearing a similar pair, and the rest is history. Having since tried them on, I do indeed find them to be an appropriate mixture of dapper and distinctive, without falling into the “Elton John” chasm of ostentation. The only downside is le prix. I walked away from the purchase with the realization that I have rather… expensive taste.

What does this mean? First, that studying to be a lawyer is the least I can do to subsidize this portentous spending. I certainly hope, however, that it's not the other way around, and that studying law and discussing large, punitive settlements has somehow subconsciously made me think I can afford these things.

I've never pursued law as simply a pay cheque, which I think is the healthiest way to approach any job. I would to hate to turn into the alternative.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by googling "Nerd Alert"

-Cathy

Anonymous said...

Nice design buddy.

- the designer

Thomas said...

Well done sir - but why the blogspot handle still?

Anonymous said...

WHich color are they? nothing on the mikli site looks similar...

Anonymous said...

Nice, thanks for tracking them down!

deerfieldparksouth said...

Pretty worthwhile piece of writing, much thanks for the post.