Saturday, July 02, 2005

War & Peace & Vampires

First, a kudos to my hermano for giving this site a certain je ne sais quoi. I was getting tired of the default Denver Bronco paint scheme, so I mixed things up a bit, and added racing stripes which I think are pretty sharp.

I spent some of my lazy long weekend finishing a book, Oh, Play That Thing. The Onion's review is pretty smack on - the book is disappointing. I was a little wary of the premise from the get go: Irish rebel Henry Smart flees for America and by chance, becomes a hitman/manager for then rising star, Louis Armstrong.

As anyone who has ever read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles can attest, music is boring on the page. Interview with the Vampire was a great historical-fiction narrative with, like any good novel should have, a slice of vampirism (it also made a damn good film). But, in some misguided attempt to be hip, Rice set the follow up novel, The Vampire Lestat, in modern day where the titular character actually joins a rock band. If you think nu-metal bands are lame, imagine reading a book about one.

I'm beginning to wonder if second year law reading is at all like first year. When you study Criminal or Tort law, there's a good chance you'll get to read about blunderous robbers or accidental amputations. However, I have a feeling Corporations or Taxation might have decidedly less juicy cases.

I guess the sentencing aspect of those cases is where it's at. Guilty of fraud? I sentence you to ten months in jail, and one season of mediocre reality TV!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice layout! I'm a big fan of the banner thing. As for classes next year and reading, I don't know much but I did work for the prof doing International Law 316 - one of the courses I think you said you were going to try and take, and it's much different than first year. It will be almost completely from a textbook, not case-based. Personally I think it'd be good - while there's quite a few pages it's a lot more "readable" than some of those interminable House of Lords cases where six judges have slightly different reasoning but come to the same conclusion.