Thursday, December 09, 2004

Henry V. Ryan (2004) Supreme Court of Canada

Blogging for a breather. I'm just past the halfway point of first year law exams, which, to draw a comparison, would be right around where Sam and Frodo get captured by Faramir in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. (That analogy is clearly not helpful because it first suggests I'm in a cornered position in these exams, and second, that I'm a big nerd.)

Frankly I don't understand the point of making some of these exams closed book, in an hour long time period no less. I know I'd respect a client who walked into a law firm with a complex set of issues and said, "I need your help, but I'm timing you and I don't want you peeking in any of those books behind you."

"Certainly," the dashing, young lawyer replied, "let me just call in the judge and have your action dismissed right now. That'll just make the whole thing easier for the both of us."

A court reporter, appearing from nowhere, then transcribes the word, "zing!"

Of course, I shouldn't complain, the tougher exams are yet to come, and I'm home for the holidays in less than a week! It's easy to forget it's that time of year in this city, what with the sun and warmth and greenness and all. (Please divert your hatred to the comment area below.)

Alright, that's enough of a break, once more unto the breach, dear friends! Clearly, Shakespeare can't save me now.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

That comment doesn't suggest you're a nerd. It substantiates it to an unqualified degree.