Monday, October 02, 2006

AKA the king of mad-libs

I've just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, the sixth book of his I've read in the last few months, and one of the things I love about this writer (apart from his amusing contempt for anyone that can't translate Spanish) is his boundless vocabulary. Here are a handful of words I've just discovered since reading him:

New words to me, that is - I'm not discounting the likelihood that these appear in any number of court decisions by judges bent on flummoxing the common people. Pues, unas veces la ley puede ser mucha confundienda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have three more to chew on...astrolabes, purlieu, and shellalegh. Don't ask me what a shellalegh is, and don't ask Dictionary.com, because neither of us know. Ask Cormac. Cormac?

M

Lawyerlike said...

And don't forget "guarangoddamntee."