Wednesday, January 25, 2006

...ruining the very pants I was trying to return

I don't regularly devote time on here talking about our canine friends (OK, I never do), but that's because I've never had a story about dogs worth relating like this.

I was waiting at the bus stop on the way to my Intellectual Property (IP) class. Naturally, I had on my headphones listening to the latest, hippest music, when suddenly I felt something jump up on me. I look down to see a rascally dog, obviously hyper from his run through the park. Both of us somewhat startled, he runs back to his master, and I go on a-listenin'.

It's only a minute or two later when I connect the dots and think, "wait, that dog came through a park, and it rained not too long ago." Yup, not only do dogs have a first-rate sense of smell, they also have an impeccable knack for knowing exactly where to apply mud to pants in order to make the most embarrassing implications. And whatever you are picturing, it looked even worse than that. He must have had enormous paws.

I had to make a split-second decision to run back home and change pants. But what I kept thinking was that if the dog had come along just a few moments later than he did, the bus would have been right in front of me and I would have had no choice to but to get on.

I can only imagine the conversation that would have taken place after:

"What class do you have?"

"IP."

"Looks like you did a lot more than that!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was an act of DOG. If you had stayed at the bus stop, a drifter could have wandered by and have been wearing your face as a hat by now.

B

Anonymous said...

Cue the rim-shot...