Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I hope the Spanish Inquisition was open book

Consider the simple game of paper, rock, scissors. Secured Transactions law is just like this game, in that it's all about who beats who in a duel.

Only now, rock beats scissors only if it crushes them within fifteen days of being notified of the duel, but failing to do so, it crumbles. Paper covers rock, but if that rock is a trustee in bankruptcy, then say goodbye to paper. And scissors cuts paper, but if that paper happens to be a financing statement, free of any seriously misleading errors such as an incomplete serial number, then you need to throw out the scissors.



Click on the link above to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Some guy invented rock, paper, scissors with 15 items. And he didn't stop there. He went to 25, a game with over 1 trillion permutations. Also on that note. [via Thom.]

I'm trying to think of a similar analogy for Corporations law, but that subject is a purely original machination, so inanely complex and absurd, so torturous, I'm apt to think it was invented by Torquemada himself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RE: RPS-15
I have informed the B boys. Not quite the same level as your cryogenics, time-travel, ______, but this is quite classic. I am glad you write a blog, as you give my life meaning, laughter, and joy.

M