Monday, June 06, 2005

Is Jack Nicholson still running Gitmo?

I suppose this blog had to earn the "law" portion of its name at some point this summer, and that's finally happened as I've begun to narrow the choices for my second year law classes. Naturally, I'm leaning heavily towards International Law classes. Plus, I have a feeling this Professional Responsibility course will be pretty packed this semester, so I thought I'd focus elsewhere.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to a seminar class on International Human Rights. I suppose I'm tired of reading so much disheartening press on the subject, and you can only laugh with Jon Stewart so much before you begin to identify with his hidden disgust.

Speaking of international delinquincy: Psst, CTU! Jack Bauer's been spotted in Canada. Kiefer Sutherland, a.k.a. "JB," a.k.a. "The Keef," recently collected his star on Canada's Walk of Fame. (Ever wonder why there's no Canadian spin-off of 24? Well, nobody wants to watch a CSIS agent sit around for 20 hours.) As far as I'm concerned, Keef's getting it for Dark City and 24, and less so because of Flatliners and Young Guns (I and II).

But question: where's the star for Brampton-native Michael Cera, who plays George Michael, the funniest character on Arrested Development? Barring any bathroom infidelities, this is one George Michael we can be proud of.

And speaking of non-sequiturs, the drab outlook on this summer's spate of album releases has been upgraded thanks to this new Maximo Park album. This is one seriously no-frills, kick-ass good time. What first sounds like a lazy Futureheads ripoff (which would still have more b.p.m. than a Killers album) actually grows into an inspired, standout album. I still can't decide if the spoken word track is lame or not, but due to the sheer awesomeness of tracks like "Apply Some Pressure," and "Signal & Sign," I'm willing to forgive.

Now, if we can only speed up the release for Broken Social Scene's new album. Hey Jack, since you're up here and all...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of new releases, thanks for letting me buy your album, Chris Martin. Unfortunately, this diehard Coldplay fan can't rock the tunes out in his car, because the cd is copy controlled and reads like a cd-rom. Chris, you make me want to steal music. For God's sake, Make Listening Fair.

Anonymous said...

How dare you insult Young Guns (I AND II)! C'mon, what other soundtrack was done by none other than the King of Stadium Rock, Jon Bon Jovi, himself! NONE!

Jodes

Lawyerlike said...

You mean that wasn't Bon Jovi that did the score for 2001: A Space Odyssey? I have been GROSSLY misinformed.